Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Outsourcing your health - Power to the individual

On April 3, 2005 I read an article in the NY Times where Thomas Friedman proclaimed told us "Its a Flat World After All".

Check it out at http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/03/magazine/03DOMINANCE.html?ex=1186632000&en=83a2a0c596686ea2&ei=5070

I read with fascination how changes in the developing economies of India and China was going to change the way the average American corporation did business. They could reduce costs and outsource work to the low cost and Surprise ! high quality factory floors and call centers in India.

So I read the article a couple of times and a few days later, drove to the nearest Barnes & Noble to buy a copy of his book. As I read the book, I realized that several of the advantages of Outsourcing were going to the large corporations. There had to be a way for the individual small person to benefit. That got me thinking.......

Now health care is the most ridiculously priced commodity as anyone who has looked at a simple bill for healthcare service purchased in the US. Since I was born in India, I got thinking if it might be possible to somehow outsource cheap but quality health care services from India. After all, most of my local doctors in the US were of Indian origin.

With this in mind, on my trips back to India, I did a lot of research and realized that some of the medical care available there was on par and sometimes better than that in the US. But how do I empower the average person in the US who has limited or no insurance to "Outsource" his health care??? Definitely any medical decision is highly complex and definitely going to India for medical care may not be for everyone.

To provide a free resource for anyone starting to think about going to India for healthcare, I created the web site www.medical-treatment-in-India.com Check it out !!!.....and let me know how we can keep improving.

this blog will try to add to the value of the web site by creating a community where members can post their experiences of obtaining healthcare in India.

No comments: